Before I begin, let me just warn you that this post will be a bit heavy on the text and light on the photos (as in no photos at all). This is what we like to call a little bit of venting. Why? Well, because it was one of THOSE days.
If you can see the short book I have written here and yet you are still with me at this point, please set aside your skepticism when reading, as I assure you this all took place in the course of a single day…just as it is written here. (fellow moms of wee ones will likely find it easy to believe…particularly if they have children like mine).
The day began in the usual fashion with the kids up between 5:30 and 6:00ish. There was the typical mix of couch snuggling with mommy and arguing with each other. The first mishap of the day was pretty minor…a dropped cup of milk (full, of course) which managed to hit the hardwoods, end table, rug and couch. So, nothing to cry over, but certainly not fun to clean. Event #1.
It was a known factor that the remainder of the day would not be typical as Owen was home from school for an extra 24-hour waiting period, following a fever. He was home yesterday as well and stir craziness was beginning to set in. He was none too happy about having to stay home again. Knowing that MOMMY would be the one to lose her mind if we stayed in the house all day, I promised a fun adventure for the boys. (No fever…feeling perfectly fine).
In preparing to leave the house, the boys decided to kick up the ‘adventure’ a little early and got a bit overzealous with the running, jumping, and climbing. It wasn’t long before I heard the smack and the subsequent scream; Bennett had slammed his head against the window frame. Although I was quickly able to determine that this was not going to result in a need for medical care, it certainly amped up my stress level a bit. Again, pretty minor but still…Event #2.
After running a few errands, we decided to see if Daddy could meet us for lunch and we headed to Midtown. Amidst the endless chatter in the car, I miss my turn into the restaurant and end up having to take a detour of many blocks to get back around to my destination…gotta love the one way streets. While doing my little square dance, Bennett announces he has to pee. (oh yeah…did I mention, no more diapers?) I quickly pull over into a loading zone and scan the car for an empty cup, water bottle or other suitable container. No trees nearby…plus it is freezing out AND lots of suits walking by on their lunch breaks. I fish out the ‘car potty’ from under the passenger seat but Bennett makes it clear that I’m not going to have time to get it set up. So, I grab one of the absorbent potty liners and just hold it up for B to use. Well, he REALLY had to go and I was challenged to keep the liquid contained to the center of the liner. It reminded me a little of one of those little cheapy trinket mazes…you know where you try to balance it back and forth and get that tiny little silver ball into the hole. I manage well enough and we get back on the road. Event #3…but I’m still hanging in there.
We finally get to the restaurant and park to wait for Rob to arrive. I let the restless kiddos run around in the back of the car to kill some time (the back seats were laid down). Minutes later, I hear Bennett…”I have poop in my unnerpants.” Oh joy. Let me again reiterate the freezing cold weather so I’m not about to stand outside the car and attempt to clean up this mess. I climb into the way back, armed with a plastic bag and a pack of wipes and set about this fun task. Rob shows up just in time to watch me lumber out of the back of the car and we all head inside for lunch. Event #4…I’m a bit worn out.
After an uneventful lunch, we say good bye to Daddy and head on to the next part of our adventure…the Aquarium. As I am sitting at the light for the interstate on ramp, Bennett announces, yet again, that he has to pee. Luckily, there is a hotel driveway situated directly on the I-75 ramp and we pull over. This time, I feel pretty good about the situation…at least Bennett is telling me AHEAD of time and I still have my water cup from lunch. Perfect. The whole thing goes down without incident…until…Owen goes to “trap” Bennett with his feet and B stumbles backward into my hand. The cup o’ pee (iced, no less) spills all over my hand, down the back of my seat and onto the floorboard. Oh yes, it did. Event #5…I’m officially ready to throw in the towel.
Believe it or not, we head to the Aquarium anyway...me and my faint smell of urine. Perhaps this is where I consider possible masochistic tendencies? Believe it or not, we have a great time. It was a really nice outing with my boys…we laughed, played and explored. Believe it or not, we had Event #6.
I was kneeling down with Owen in front of a small crowd at the piranha exhibit. I was explaining why the fish were gnawing away at the fish head hanging from a hook in the top of the tank. Bennett was standing behind me, holding on to my backpack…or so I thought. As I’m talking to Owen, B sidles up next to me holding an unwrapped feminine product by the string. Yes, he did. And lots of people saw. Yes, they did. I glanced up to see who was watching and the man behind us was having a really nice chuckle…so much so that he apologized to me for being unable to keep it in. “It is what it is”, I say. “What can you do?”
Most definitely, most assuredly, most decidely one of THOSE days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
OH....MY....GOSH!! I think that was about a year's worth of "THOSE days" rolled into one! But look on the bright side. I'm guessing Ben's previous plan to "wear dees diapers for da rest of my wife" actually sounds to you like not such a bad idea at this point. And his little antic at the Piranha tank made the exhibit so much more entertaining and humorous for the onlookers nearest to ya'll. And best of all, no one required medical treatment!! That's saying a lot for a day with SIX "events"!! So hang in there, Mom! You're due some blessedly boring days for awhile now!! :-)
Post a Comment