Saturday, May 12, 2007

Brotherly Love

We've been getting lots of questions about how Owen is handling his role as an older sibling. Is he a good big brother? What does he think about the baby? Have we noticed any resentment?

Honestly, I've been telling people that I'm almost afraid to talk about our experience so far. I just don't want to jinx it. At 5 weeks in, our ride has been unbelievably smooth. Not only has the overall adjustment for the family been pretty easy (yes, I'm sleeping...I'm sleeping more now than at the end of the pregnancy!), but Owen has been, for the most part, a dream. He is loving and helpful and has, so far, shown no signs of jealousy, resentment or regression. It is so much better than we could have ever hoped. Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to believe that it will always be this easy. I'm certain that we will go through some rough periods and Owen will, at times, see Bennett as a burden and a pest. BUT, we are off to a fantastic start. I cannot complain (at least not about this). My job as mommy of 2 has had some really great beginnings.

And you can see the very early beginning HERE.

Even as we brought Bennett home from the hospital, Owen was so excited to see him and "get dat toy for him." See the first few minutes at home HERE, when Bennett is one day old.

Over the last few weeks, the lovefest has continued with Owen wanting to...

hold Bennett,

















kiss Bennett,













lay with Bennett,













and even help him when he is crying. In fact, his favorite thing to say is "da sooner you help a crying baby, da sooner dey stop crying." (Plucked right from our numerous reads through What Baby Needs) He even gave this unsolicited advice to a woman in the store whose child was crying...she was thrilled, I'm sure, to be getting parenting advice from a 2 year old.

You can see Owen singing to Bennett before bedtime HERE.

While I'm sure that many challenging times lay before us, right now we are extremely happy to report that our transitions have been smooth. Owen is a great big brother and we couldn't be prouder of our 2 wonderful boys.

No comments: